Wednesday, June 10, 2009

8 oz. is A.O.K.

8 Oz: Burger Bar: Where There's Smoke, There's Fire...And Cocktails.

Leave it to Miss O to turn a night at a burger joint into the Last Seduction. Then again, a big juicy burger joined by copious amounts of well-crafted cocktails is enough to get anyone cruisin for a bruisin' with an old flame.

Despite my dating ups and downs, there's always room for improvement. I may go out clubbing, mac on a few hotties, and learn how to play the field on my off days, but when the ex ex (which I have so comfortably come to refer to him as) scrambbles back into the picture, it's just plain hard to say no, especially with an invite to a mellow burger bar. It may not sound like the cream of the crop for romantic date night hot spots, but when it comes down to it, a girl really just wants a little lovin' every now and again mixed with a good meal and a cocktail to match.

And besides, where else in LA can you find a juicy, succulent piece of meat (yes, I am referring to the hamburger not the boy) and a fresh organic drink?


Enter 8 Oz, cozily situated on Melrose Avenue's chic strip of restaurants and chilled out bars, rolling the sports bar atmosphere, juicy and innovative burgers, a horde of spiced up, fresh cocktails, and more foreign beers than one could possibly count into one hell of a night. Best part about the hipster joint: cocktails are more original than any place I've ever seen, fusing down home burger bar flavors into chic and cosmopolitan cocktails.

Here's a few of LA2DAY's favorites at 8 Oz:


The Smokey Bacon
Bacon Infused Vodka
Bloody Mary Mix
House Smoked Tomato Sauce
Bacon Stir Stick

(This spicy version of a Bloody Mary goes great with a house Melrose Burger-garlic tomatoes, roasted red onion marmalade, and baby arugala).

"Bacon and vodka?" you may ask, but have faith my friends. Be a dare devil and take a sip. But I understand if fire sauce infused Bloody Mary seems like a bit of walk on the wild side for just one night at a burger bar, 8 Oz also serves up more mellow options. Ginger anyone?

The Moscow Mule
Vodka
Ginger Puree
Fresh Lime Juice
Ginger Ale

(The Moscow goes great with the Estancia Grass Fed Beef Burger- garlic aioli, charred escarole, and roasted mushrooms).

On the other hand, going out on the town with my on again off again boy of choice, led me to think that I may need something a bit stronger than vodka to ease the tension. Tequila always does the trick, especially if I can't remember anything the next morning (besides my delicious burger, of course).

Aquamiel (Honey Water)
Milagro Tequila
Lillet Blanc
Fresh Lime Juice
Almond Extract
Honey Syrup

(Pairs well the with house special, the 8 Oz Burger, loaded with secret sauce).

While boy toy sipped away on a 5$ pint of California Telegraph White Ale, I may have downed one too many of my honey water saviors, ironically leading me to have one of the best nights in a while. Great beefy burgers (each patty combines tri tip, sirloin, and short rib slow cooked in a Himalayan cooker... yummo), a few jazzed up cocktails, and a little bit of much needed affection makes 8 Oz my new one stop shop.

THE DETAILS: 8 Oz Burger Bar
7661 Melrose Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90046
323.852.0008

No comments:

Post a Comment